Family Collage

Family Collage
Lots of Love in this Bunch!
*The compositions herein are not to be copied, reproduced, printed, published, posted, displayed, incorporated, stored in or scanned into a retrieval system or database, transmitted, broadcast, bartered or sold, in whole or in part without the prior express written permissions of the sole author Tory Minus. Unauthorized duplication is strictly prohibited and is an infringement of National and International Copyright Laws.

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

The Drive In!



For me, The Millry Drive In is more than the only restaurant in town. It's a local landmark and home of the best fried chicken, Mr. Bacon Cheeseburgers, soft-served ice cream, and many more delicious treats. A few years back, it was the culprit that added seventy pounds to my weight gain during the pregnancy with our twins. Yes, that's our driveway leading straight into the parking lot of the drive in. Now you understand!

This legendary Mom and Pop snack bar is famed more for it's tradition...a sort of nostalgic mystique than anything else. Mr. Aaron and Mrs. Wanda (along with their soft-spoken daughters) greet their customers at the counter with a "Please pay when you order!" smile across their face.

Once you manage to convey your order, Mrs. Wanda tells you it will take approximately fifteen - twenty minutes for Mr. Aaron to fry up your food. On a busy day, you can expect one of two scenarios when placing your order: 1.) You call and call and call, but apparently the phone has been taken off the hook. Or, 2.) You manage to get through but Mrs. Wanda regrets to inform you that the local Masonic group has beaten you to the punch, ordering countless buckets of fried chicken and french fries.

But you don't give up!

Frustrating as this may be, however, you place your order and wait an additional twenty minutes for Mr. Aaron to cook your two-piece dinner. Once inside your vehicle, with dinner basket in hand, you realize it was worth this and so much more.

The evening this photo was taken, I had just returned from a two-mile run when I noticed the beautiful rainbow draping in the distance above the drive in. I couldn't help but run inside and grab my camera as the idea for this post came to mind.

Now, if only I can figure out the secret ingredient to Mrs. Wanda's delicious sauce on her burgers!

In the comment section below, I'd love to know about your favorite eating place. Have a great Humpday, everyone! Tory

18 comments:

  1. Me (The Crazy Writer Girl)June 9, 2010 at 11:00 PM

    My dear Tory...

    Eating out is my specialty! There is this sushi place in town that is one kind of heaven. I'd eat there daily if I could get away with it and the owner and I are on first name basis. My hubby and boys love it there too (yeah, my 6 and 8 year old eat sushi! Cool, eh?) which rounds off the merry picture perfectly.

    Love your blog! Have a happy Humpday!

    Alyson

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't laugh too hard, CGW, but I've yet to try sushi! I know...I'm missing out on one of life's greatest delicacies, but it just looks awful. Okay, for you (and my cousins up North), I'll try sushi the next time it's served. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I could write a book on my eating experiences, but one of my favorites was Lee's Chinese Restaurant in Wichita, KS. The owners came out and personally explained each dish. The food was all freshly purchased from local markets, and prepared to order. The service was wonderful, and the food was great! I plan on doing a food blog on Portland. Look for it soon! Love this post Tory!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tory, I love the picture and the post. I agree with your other post on the sushi. It is wonderful, but I don't know if I will be eating any type of fish now because of the horrible oil spill. Who knows what the tuna, shrimp, oysters, and other great foods will be contaminated for years to come. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have this great local pizza place in Holland, MI called Sluggo's. If they serve pizza in heaven, that is where it comes from!

    Sluggo's is a father-and-son pizzeria located on the way to/from the beach and is perfect for a day back from State Park (beautiful beach located on Lake Michigan). Their pizza is simply amazing, but their toasted sub sandwiches are also my favorites (so much better than the chain places in town...).

    Besides the food, the best part is that the father and son are super nice guys. Sluggo's is a local place that I love supporting and talking about (obviously) because they seem like such good people.

    Uh, as a thought, I have absolutely no affiliation with the place! I just like giving credit where credit is due. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. We need to do a girl's weekend in Fairhope and I'll take you to this sushi restaurant there...the best around by far!

    ReplyDelete
  7. J.M., Thanks for stopping by and for sharing about Sluggo's. It sounds like a wonderful atmosphere to enjoy a good pizza!

    Dana, After little Benjamin arrives in August, we should definitely spend a "girl's night" in Fairhope. I knew you would appreciate this post, given that you're preggo and can sense when food is mentioned. Betcha want a scrappy burger now, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  8. J.R., Hope all is well w/ your family, and yes, I'll be on the lookout for your post about Portland. Thanks for stopping by!

    Mom, I miss you so hurry up and get home!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Even today, if I go to Cullomburg and call down and order, Mrs. Wanda will still order me a Mr. CB with mayo/ketchup only, whether I want it or not. Because, per Mrs Wanda, that is the only thing that I can eat because it was my favorite way back when...and she's right!!!! Why would I try to change??

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mandy, LOL! So sad our parents didn't believe us when we said our weekend $ was spent at the Drive In! Well, a large portion of it anyway. So glad you stopped by. Hope all is well in Monroeville!

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOVE THE PHOTO!!!! Love the Mr. Bacon Cheeseburger!!! Gotta love Wanda and Aaron!!! They know what you want before you order!!!! We'll worth the wait of the busy phone!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi, Milisa! I wanted to interview Mrs. Wanda for this post but figured she wouldn't go for it. LOL! Maybe next time, though. I wonder what her bestseller is? So glad you stopped by today.:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Living in West Texas has its share of culinary fun, but it also makes me miss some things about Dixie. (Did you KNOW that out HERE Barbecue is something you do to a COW? Anyway...)

    So a couple of years ago at Christmas my daughter and son-in-law gave me two slabs of Dreamland BBQ ribs, complete with the sauce and a loaf of white bread.

    Oh. My. Gosh.

    I was saying "Ho Ho Ho" for days. "Ain't nothin' like 'em."

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great picture. Sounds like a great place. I love finding places like that, which I return to again and again.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oooh Tory this sounds like my kind of place. yum! In Chicago we have a place called Fat Willy's that has the best pulled pork sandwiches on earth. Have I mentioned how much I love BBQ - if you ever are in Chicago, you know where we are headed!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Andy, Sounds like your daughter and son-in-law love you very much. Wow! I bet you are looking forward to Christmas this year.

    Theresa, Yes, there is nothing like a Mr. Cheeseburger and chocolate malt on a Saturday afternoon.:)

    Hi, Lindsay! I've always wanted to visit Chicago. If I ever get the opportunity, I'll definitely give you a call. Thanks for sharing about Fat Willy's...sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  17. this is making me hungry. Around here there is a place called Parkers drive in. So so good and really busy during the week. You can barley get through the door.
    This also reminded me of the mom and pop place that was literally next door to my moms house where she grew up. Just 5 steps next door and you can have a homemade milkshake and fries.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I also can't help myself around rainbows. I take a picture if I can.

    I dislike cooking, so I know a lot about restaurants. I like diner type food, so I go to Big Pink and Jerry's Famous Deli, both in Miami Beach.

    ReplyDelete